Monday, August 24, 2015

Design Wall Monday--Moving along

On my design wall is another interrupted UFO, as well as one off the design wall that has moved along since last week.  

Our guild had a Philanthropy Sew In on Saturday and I took the completed L-sashed blocks to assemble into a top.  


I like it!  It's a bit small at 40" square so will need some expansion with borders--a problem for another day.   Guild members were working on assembling monthly challenge blocks into tops, and kitting up backing, binding, and batting for already completed tops.  I took some precut squares, extra yardage, and a kit home to play with from donated fabric piles  Funnily enough, in a pile of donated fabric there was one square of the kitty print! 

I set to work later on Saturday making Bullseye blocks.  My brother requested a quilt and I had a small finished top that I'm expanding with additional borders and pieced blocks.  
 I need a whole lot more of these to fit around the quilt top. 


Anyone who has made these blocks knows the circles multiply in smaller sizes as you cut out the centers of each round.  At least I got easier instructions from Mary of Quilt Hollow, who gifted me the original batch of bullseye blocks, to cut squares, fold them in quarters and use scissors to cut the circles, rather than my original method of tracing plates!   Here's the existing quilt, hastily modeled by DD Erica:

 I may duplicate some of the darker print backgrounds just for fun.


 The current outside border is an old Thimbleberries print.


I pulled the brown print and this rusty red to use for additional borders as well.  It should be quite a puzzle to get this all together, but I'll sew on...

See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Your kitty fabric project turned out great!
Like the look of that bulls-eye quilt. Nice that you don't have to start from scratch to meet your brother's request. : )

Laura said...

Curves! (I'm still a straight line piecer.) Your Bulls-eye quilt looks great!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Those L-sashed blocks turned out super cute and he project is a winner. As for the curved piecing oh my goodness you do love a challenge!

Tanya said...

Love the Bull's Eye quilt! I was making something with circles not long ago either but the quilt sure didn't turn out like yours! Maybe I'll try it again!

Kate said...

Both quilts are looking great. I really like those bullseye blocks. You've got lots going on in the sewing room.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...