Sunday, April 20, 2014

Doll Quilt Wrap Up

Lori at Humble Quilts organized a Doll Quilt Swap and the deadline for mailing was "before Easter".  I spent several of my bus commutes last week tacking down the binding for the doll quilt I've made. Then I added some big stitch hand quilting accents.

The finished doll quilt--again, these Churn Dash blocks are a Kim Diehl design, from her book, Simple Comforts.  The total number of different fabrics I used in the quilt was 24.

 I wanted to keep the crisp piecing the focal point, so I added only a bit of stitching to the nine patch centers.

The sashing got a double outline of big stitching.  The fabric for the binding was the same dye lot/purple-y blue color as the sashing--another deliberate choice to keep the Churn Dash blocks the focus.

Though I was hesitant about the effect at first, in the end I really enjoyed the big stitch hand stitching, for a rustic touch.  I'm not skilled enough at hand quilting to make it a focal point!

This hand-dyed Valdani Perle Cotton in a bluish gray accomplished the subtle addition I was hoping for. I was happy to find it at the guild show from last week.

After this photo, I added a simple label and sent off the doll quilt in the mail.  I hope the recipient enjoys it as much as I did making it.  My swap partner was more timely in her completed project and I received it on Friday.  I had just enough time to tear open the package before we rushed off to babysit our grandson for the first time, so savoring the gift waited until yesterday morning.

Barb in Arizona crafted some beautiful baskets with ribbon handles, and exquisitely hand-quilted the entire doll quilt.  Aren't the baskets sweet?  I think they finish at about 3.5".


She also used an extra basket as a cute label. I appreciate every stitch Barb put into this doll quilt!


A scrap-lovers delight with each basket a different print.  Thank you, Barb!

15 comments:

Julianne said...

Wow! Both are beautiful quilts!
Happy Easter!

Chantal said...

What a lovely quilt you made ... and received!! They are both wonderful.

Shay said...

Love both the sent and received quilts. They are both lovely!

How did the babysitting go?

Abby and Stephanie said...

Really lovely gifts. I love the look of big stitch. Happy Easter. I'm sure you enjoyed your baby bunny.

Lorraine said...

Beautiful little quilts!, hope you had fun babysitting!,

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Both quilts are adorable but I'm partial to the churn dash quilt you made. It seems modern and vintage at the same time and so well done. Good job Annie.

Dawn said...

Very sweet little quilts. I enjoy the one you sent me everyday! Love all the special touches.

Mary said...

I thought about joining that Swap. It's fun to see the results of it anyway! Great job. I wondered about using pearl cotton to quilt the big stitch. I have a mini that needs some hand quilting and I'm not fond of the tiny stitches that are necessary. I never learned to use a thimble.

Mary said...

I thought about joining that Swap. It's fun to see the results of it anyway! Great job. I wondered about using pearl cotton to quilt the big stitch. I have a mini that needs some hand quilting and I'm not fond of the tiny stitches that are necessary. I never learned to use a thimble.

Janet O. said...

You had a great swap! I would have been thrilled if either one of those quilts had come to my house.

Tanya said...

Both doll quilts are wonderful! Now if only I had a doll I might want to join the next swap...

Karendianne said...

Oh my! Your quilt is beautiful with such fine piecing. Well done my friend. The basket quilt is beautiful as well :)

Kate said...

Your doll quilt turned out beautifully! Such tiny baskets on the one you got. I'm in awe of both of you!

Lori said...

Both quilts turned out wonderful! I'm so glad you joined in!

belarmina said...

felicidades !!!
son preciosos los dos
saludos

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...