Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Design Wall Monday--A High Cotton Finish

After another unexpected blog break, I'm pleased to return to DWM and show a finished quilt.  This is High Cotton, a Kim Diehl design from her Simple Comforts book series, and is lap sized, 54"x 66".  I started this quilt far too long ago and am thrilled to have put the last stitch in the binding this morning, two years later. 

I'm pleased with my efforts to emulate Kim's mix of muted and bright CW repros and included a few zingers. There are more green prints than any other, as green is my favorite color, but I don't think its too much green.

 
Slightly blurry pic but shows the quilting detail well.  I wanted lots of curves to complement all the straight lines.  So happy my LQS now has longarm quilting services.  I chose a tan thread and like how it turned out. 
 
The warm gray Paisley print binding I'm happy with too, though it was hard to cut up and dedicate to that end, I love the print so much.  You can see one pieced block in the Paisley fabric peeking out in the bottom center of the pic. 

Similarly, stash was harvested for the quilt backing.  Being a scrappy quilter, I seldom buy large lengths of fabric so pieced backs are common in my quilts. 


The curvy blossoms show up well on this dark green Thimbleberries print I bought on clearance at a local fabric store years ago.  As this quilt is for ME, I'll get to enjoy it for years to come in my own home.  Better get a label made!  See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times. 

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

I love this design--bought the whole book just for this pattern--and still haven't made it.
You have a nice balance of colors. I don't see a dominance of green at all.
That is a good looking paisley fabric you sacrificed for the binding. *LOL*

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on a terrific finish! I love the scrappiness of it!

Janet said...

What a great quilt...love your blog and read it regularly....Jan...a fan from. Ontario Canada ...😊

Janet said...

What a great quilt...love your blog and read it regularly....Jan...a fan from. Ontario Canada ...😊

Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on the finish. Love the quilt and the variety of colors (I had to scroll back up to look for the green).

carol fun said...

Beautiful quilt Annie! You did a great job picking the fabrics and quilting design for this one. I know it will give you many years of enjoyment!

Tanya said...

That really is a gorgeous quilt! The white zigzag shows up so nicely on all the wonderful colors.

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish. Hope it cools off soon so you can enjoy it with a cup of tea and a good book.

Linda R said...

Very nice finish...Congrats on finishing it..2 years is not bad. I have one over 3 years that I want to get done for our local quilt show next spring. Hopefully your quilt will give me the much needed
inspiration to "get at it". I love your colors. The quilt looks very cozy.

Sherrill said...

Pretty sure I remember you starting that and now it's a beautiful finish. So wonderful when you can persevere and finish up, huh? Gorgeous!

Mary said...

This is really lovely. I'm glad you're saving this one for you!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...