Monday, March 12, 2018

Design Wall Monday--Narragansett Browns

Happy Monday!  We are happy in SoCalif because it has been raining, a nice long slow soak on our burnt hillsides, and no wind to follow the storm. Lovely.  

On my design floor is a quilt I've had in progress as a Leader-Ender for awhile, Bonnie Hunter's Narragansett Blues, from her book More Adventures with Leaders and Enders.  My version is smaller, a throw size quilt for my uncle, whose favorite color is brown.  I've been cutting and sewing four patches from the scrap drawers and any cutting table leftovers for months.  Finally yesterday I finished the 187 four patches I needed and could start the layout.  
All the bricks, squares, and four patches ready to go.  I cleared what floor space I have in the sewing room and commenced the arranging.
The rows are laid out vertically and I had to label the center square after awhile to keep track of where I was, and constantly refer to the book.  A few of the four patches wanted to turn, but I kept an eye on them.  I mixed the older batches of four patches with the newer batches to evenly distribute the colors and prints, but didn't spend too much time moving them around.  
Alas, I was short one four patch in the bottom corner, and couldn't get to my machine to sew until I moved all the rows off the floor, lol! There was some additional switcheroo before they were stacked and pinned in their rows.  I'm altering Bonnie's pieced outer border, too, to speed up assembly, and will need to cut a lot of  2x4.5" strips from the precut bins when I get that far.  I'm happy with the mix of browns and scrappy four patches and hope everything comes together well.  Some of the bricks that I cut with my GO cutter were a little long, being cut from scraps and not always on the lengthwise grain, so I will keep a mat and rotary cutter nearby to trim as necessary. 

See more design walls on Small Quilts and Doll Quilts. 

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

A beautiful pattern for scraps...especially the brown

Lindah said...

Scrumptious browns. Interesting pattern. Perfect guy's pattern. I'm always looking for something suitable for our men. And on the backstroke, it's a good leader ender and a good scrap user upper. Who could ask for more? I'm going to add this to my repertoire. :-) Thanks.

Janet O. said...

It is a wonderful scrap creation! Must feel good to have it all laid out and ready to sew up.

Loris said...

Lovely! I hope to make this someday soon too.
Your uncle will love it :-)

Karen said...

Love the browns! I tend to use a lot of that color.

Louise said...

This is looking great! The colors are deep and rich. Your uncle will love it, I'm sure!

Joyful Quilter said...

I love scrappy quilts! What a great way to use up browns. Glad you got some rain...I've been listen to rain outside for the last hour - it is such a soothing sound.

Tanya said...

Beautiful quilt! I, going to have to get that book! I have her first but have only made three of the quilts in that one still...

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...